Integrated medicine, also known as integrative medicine, focuses on healing the whole person. As part of this form of healing, practitioners work to determine factors that affect each patient’s health and they use less or non-invasive interventions. This approach tends to be more beneficial in the long run because it helps patients improve their quality of life. Additional benefits of this form of healing include the following.
1. Brings the body to balance. Integrated medicine helps clear blockages that get in the way of the body’s ability to heal itself.
2. Get the personal attention you deserve. Doctors who practice integrated medicine typically spend more time with patients ultimately getting to the root of the problem.
3. A partner in healing. Instead of just writing a prescription, doctors who practice integrated medicine become their patients’ partner in healing. They take the time to learn about their patients’ lifestyle choices and how they affect their path to wellness.
4. Less costly, more effective. Integrative medicine offers a better hope for more effective health care at less of a cost (just think about how much a surgery costs). As noted by ManagedCareMag.com:
“A review at a California managed health care plan assessed four years of data from claims for 700,000 members who were eligible for chiropractic benefits and for 1 million who were not eligible. The review found 38 percent fewer episodes of care for low back or neck pain in the cohort using chiropractic care, leading to significant reductions in advanced imaging, inpatient episodes, and surgery.”
5. Less medicine. Since integrative medicine helps patients heal, in many cases the need for taking medication lessens. Also as noted by ManagedCareMag.com, 33 percent of patients who received weekly hour-long massages reported that their back pain was much better or gone; they experience improved functioning and lessened the use of anti-inflammatory medication.
At Performance Rehabilitation and Integrated Medicine, we work toward achieving overall better health and wellness for our patients through interventional pain management, physical therapy, chiropractic care, acupuncture and Chinese medicine, and massage therapy. Contact us to schedule an appointment.